Saturday, March 7, 2009

Album Review: Forgive Durden: Razia's Shadow: A Musical

"The unrelenting constancy of love and hope,
will rescue and restore you from any scope."

Forgive Durden, once a full piece band is but one member strong now. His name is Thomas Dutton, and the vision he had for the band was not exactly "traditional". This could be the reason behind him cleaning house and placing the responsibilities of the band solely on his shoulders.

Instead of recording a standard rock record, Dutton decided to take his childhood love of musicals as inspiration to write his very own. With the help of his multi talented brother, Paul, the brothers co wrote "Razia's Shadow: A Musical". 

Put simply, the story of Razia's Shadow is a creation myth. Put even more simply, it is a love story. The main character of the first half is Ahrima, an angel created by the "creator" character, O The Scientist. Ahrima believes he has plenty more to offer the world and is discouraged that O The Scientist refuses to acknowledge his true greatness.

This story ark leads to Ahrima's eventual downfall, and without revealing too much, the entire world suffers the consequences of his selfish actions. It is then told by the Oracle, that someone very similar to Ahrima will set the world right again. Enter: Adakais.

Adakais is the protagonist of the musical, and the main character of the second half. He is very similar to Ahrima, and has the same aspirations of granduer. However, Adakais seeks to clean up Ahrima's mess. 

The musicianship and production of this record are incredible. The main attraction is the character work which is supplied by vocalists from a litany of bands, some more popular than others. Perhaps the most notable cameo is supplied by Brendon Urie of Panic at the Disco fame. Urie plays Adakais' evil brother Pallis with perfection and conviction.

You will get to experience Say Anything's, Max Bemis, as the persuasive and cunning Barayas The Spider. As well as Chris Conley from Save's The Day as Toba The Tura, the angelic judge of the world who labels Ahrima with his fate. Fans of lesser known bands such as: The Dear Hunter, The Hush Sound, Portugal. The Man, and Gatsby's American Dream will see their vocalists appear in certain roles throughout.  

The single greatest piece of character work is provided by Shawn Harris of The Matches as Doctor Dumaya. It sounds like Harris literally BECAME the doctor, and at times you can feel him channeling Heath Ledger's Joker.

All I can say is check this album out, it is definitely unlike anything you have listened to recently. I can guarantee that. Anyone seeking out something new and fresh, this is it.

SHAMELESS PLUG TIME!!! 

Me and my friend, Rob Burke, have been lucky enough to be chosen by Thomas Dutton as one of 50 people to receive legal rights to the musical, an instrumental version of the album and the script to stage our own PRODUCTION!! We are very excited about this, and are going to work our hardest during the summer to make it a Fall/Winter release. I hope to see many of you there!

Recommended if you like: Musicals, Panic at the Disco, The Dear Hunter.

STREAM THE ENTIRE ALBUM HERE:

www.purevolume.com/forgivedurden

17 comments:

  1. That sounds like an interesting concept. Very creative and out of the box. I think I would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to pick this album up. Once I get some cash, that is. I've always loved musicals, and even used to perform in local theatre as a hobby. I can't wait until I'm finished school and have time to get back into it. It's such a thrill to be in front of a live audience. I hope you keep us posted as to how your musical is going, and if you need anyone to help out, I would be happy to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to you and Rob,that is so cool. You are very indepth about music and I enjoy your enthusiasm. Thanks for the recommendation, I am ready to hear something new that's for sure. Just let me know when it will be released and I will be there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, congratulations. Second, what type of production will you be doing? I have to admit I was totally unfamiliar with Thomas Dutton--the band. I had to check out wikipedia and then visit his website and the Razia Shadow blog. I listened to some of the tracks and I have to admit it sounds interesting. Personal favourite track would be The Oracle. The part I heard is very peaceful.

    Looking forward to hearing more...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy: We are going to be putting on a full stage production. We have a great deal of the talent locked up (actors, singers, choreogrpahy, director). Next we need to decide on a vision, secure a venue that meets that vision.........and oh yeah......raise adequate funds.

    Personal Favourite track for me is Genesis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on your opportunity. I love musicals, so I am definitely going to try and pick this album up when it comes out. Be sure to keep us posted on all the adventures you have with this project. I am kind of jealous, but happy for you at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great Adam, I hope you find what your looking for in this opportunity because I know how interested you are in musicals. I would enjoy hearing more about this topic as it grows and it gets closer to being finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Musicals are the bomb! Yeah, that's right I said 'the bomb.' I really want to pick this album up. I'm also super excited for you! I wish you nothing but the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Adams
    Congrats on receiving the rights to the play! I enjoy musicals that are a little more off-beat. A couple summers ago I saw "Evil Dead: The Musical" in Toronto. Although I think it was more silly than impacting, it was still wholly entertaining (key to musical success, in my opinion).
    Did you ever read any of Jane Feuer's theories on the musical while taking communications at Brock? She had some neat ideas.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude . . . you told me about this musical at the beginning of the schoo year and hyped it . . . and when you gave me a copy. . . I loved it . . . man this is awesome. Glad you are involved with the production of this. I best be getting front row tickets on opening night. . . can't wait to read more posts. You are my music guru

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds fantastic. Awesome that you have an interesting challenge ahead of you after school. Congrats Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me and my friend? I hope Mrs. Geddie doesn't read this post. Exciting news about the production, keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so awesome Adam... obviously I've heard you talk about this before and if you still need female backup I'm definitely still in. I still have to check it out. It sounds pretty incredible though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know it is not an original comment, but I sincerely wish you the best... you deserve it!
    And just to let you know, I love your blog. You have a great design :-)
    Veronique

    ReplyDelete
  15. We definitely still need you Shelbs. Working with the theme of light/dark we will have 4 backup singers. 2 on the light side, 2 on the dark. Are you good or evil? Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This musical you speak of sounds interesting. I have only seen the more traditional types so it would be cool to watch one that is a little different.

    ReplyDelete